A delicious autumn soup from Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall’s River Cottage Veg book.
- 30g butter
- I tbsp oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 celeriac, peeled and roughly chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Crème fraîche, to finish
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pan, add the shallots and sweat gently for a few minutes.
- Add the fennel and celeriac, stir well and cover with a lid and leave to sweat gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the orange zest and seasoning along with the stock and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Blitz until smooth then pour into serving bowls and serve with a dollop of crème fraiche.